Have you ever been to Austin, Texas?
If the answer is NO you can read my post (and then book a flight to Austin), if the answer is YES you can read it anyway and tell me what you think about it (and then you can book a flight, too)!
I have been in Austin, Texas, for a semester, from January to May 2011 and I attended the McComb School of Business.
While I was there I was staying in a college residence called Dobie Center (to be honest it wasn’t really nice) where I had the occasion to know many people from all over the world! I didn’t have access to a private kitchen but the residence offered restaurant services all day long.. This resulted in 6 kg gained – muffins were so good- but no worries, once back home I lost all of them in one month!
Austin is a really nice place to live.. Everything is huge: houses, streets, cars, and hamburgers! Once I went in a pub and asked for an hamburger… Don’t do it, ever! Ask about the size first or you’ll be eating for ages!
I can give you some advices about the most interesting places you can go to while staying in this beautiful and crazy city!
First of all you HAVE to go to Sixth Street. It’s a street where you can find tons of bars, pubs and clubs! All people go there during the week end… Pay attention, you can get in only if you are 21..
Then you have to go to Town Lake, a place where you can see all the city, Barton Spring Pool,one of the best known swimming holes in Texas, is a natural spring-fed pool with a year-round average temperature of 68 degrees, South Congress Avenue,an array of eclectic shops, restaurants, boutiques, antiques, music venues and galleries. Every first Thursday of the month, stores remain open until 10pm and State Capitol, the fourth building to be the house of TX state government in Austin. It houses the chambers of the TX Legislature and the office of the governor.
So now I give you 5 good reasons to go there AS SOON AS POSSIBLE:
1) People are kind, friendly and helpful, and make yourself feel at home (and this is important if you go there alone)!
2) You can see new amazing places like the swimming-pool in a natural lake
3) You can taste the Tex-Mex food, a mix of American and Mexican food, which is usually spicy
4) Austin is close to different places like Dallas, Houston or San Antonio, where you can go and watch a NBA match like I did, amazing!
5) Last but not least, if you’re there for studying, you will be able to experience the real university life. Austin is one of the biggest campus in USA and it provides students with everything they need: study, sport, food, and fun!
I fell in love with this city and I hope I have stimulated your curiosity!
Hook’em Horns! Keep Austin Weird!
A. G. V.